Home

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Close, But No Cigar!

I can't help myself it seems, to stop creating things with this gorgeous paper line from Graphic 45, "A Ladies' Diary".  It speaks to me on so many levels, but especially when it come to altering items like cigar boxes, especially the old, vintage ones.  When the price tag inside the box says 15 cents or 35 cents, you know you are dealing with some "oldies", that's for sure!  This paper is so gorgeous and elegant, it seems more suitable for "beyond the page" altered items, rather than layouts (one might cover up some of its' lusciousness were you to add pictures to your page--lol!)

Three of these boxes have now been transformed into altered, vintage beauties.  The first two are on display at my LSS, Pages in Time.  They are currently hosting their annual "shop hop", with stops at scrapbook stores scattered around the area.  Karen did a fabulous display of altered items featuring papers from Graphic 45 (two different paper lines) and Bo Bunny.  This is the link to her FB page:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pages-in-Time-Purses-and-More/163263483767076

Altered Wood Cigar Box




I left the edges exposed on the box to accent the wood, plus it makes it unnecessary to remove the hinges or trying to neatly cut around them (which I find virtually impossible, BTW!).  As is my norm with the vintage look, I did a lot of distressing with my favorite Ranger Distress Ink, "Vintage Photo".  In my stash of goodies, I had this amazing laser-cut page of butterflies and flowers that seemed perfect for the box top.  I "popped" up the middle oval and used black card stock to offset.  I used Liquid Pearls in a sweet color, called bisque as the crowning touch to accent the middle section.


Resin Lock & Bow Accents

Antique Brass Bead "Feet"

As with all of my altered cigar boxes, I try to make the inside as attractive as the outside.

As always, thanks for checking out my little treasures--I do so enjoy making them!  They make great trinket boxes, jewelry boxes, or clever storage for note cards or greeting cards.  I use them sometimes as gift boxes, that way the gift box is as much of a gift as its' content.

'Til next time,

Happy Scrappin!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome that it's on display at your LSS! How fun! And you did a wonderful job, I think it looks good not going to the edges. It makes it look more like it was made that way :) And Vintage Photo is my favorite distress ink, too, it goes so well with everything! Great job, Susie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these Susie,everyone else is too,asking me if they are for sale,don't worry I didn't sell them on you. I so thank you for letting me display them and all the awesome job you did on these. I too am hooked on this line by G45.

    ReplyDelete